Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 1: Land's End to St Austell


This was me at Land's End this morning, starting my End to End to End to End.

I'd only cycled there from Penzance, ten miles away, but I must have looked knackered when I turned up. Everyone thought I was arriving from John o'Groat's.


Anyway, from Land's End I set off with an obliging tailwind back to Penzance - where Wetherspoons supplied a fine balanced breakfast, full of vitamins such as Q and X and Z - and on to Marazion.


This is a place, not a prog rock group. It's the town opposite St Michael's Mount, which you reach by a causeway, revealed when the tide drops. It's unique in Britain, except for the other 42 tidal islands.


From Falmouth, I took the ferry across the Fal estuary mouth to St Mawes. This was fun. Any ferry that takes bikes is fine by me. Even if it does involve manhandling a massively laden cycle down 57 vertiginous steps to access a bobbing boat, and doing the opposite at the other end. Doctor, will I be able to conduct despite my sore arms? Well, that's good, because I've never conducted anything before.

Anyway, today's been a fab cycling day.

Miles today: 70
Miles since Land's End: 60

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty good mileage for the first day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top stuff Rob. Still holding out hope that I may yet co-incide with your journey at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make it to Oban by the end of the month? If so, see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know you are going the correct way, Rob - towards Scotland!
    If you get anywhere near Kirkby Lonsdale, take a quick breather and pop in for a chat.

    ReplyDelete